Sunday, November 17, 2013

This One is Going Into Lay Away

This was originally done in small format on the Isle of Capri when I was on the most incredible painting journey along the Amalfi Coast of Italy.  Sorrento was home base for the first 10 days.  Painted in Positano, Praiano, Paestum (best Greek ruins), Pompei, and Amalfi.  And, then Naples and Rome and the magnificent coliseum  were the final 7 days.
    Painted two days in Pompei and had two feral dogs come in and situate themselves on both sides of me and not let anyone come into out little grotto that I was painting in.  It was a wonderfully strange experience of connection with those two dogs.  And, I did not have any food to entice them.  It was their idea to be my protection.  Can still see and hear the snarl if anyone dared to trespass.  Thought that I might be coming back to Texas with two dogs.  But, they would accompany me as far as the entrance to Pompei and then, as if by magic, disappear into their world of feral dogdom.
    So this painting has some great memories that go with it.  And, I like the painting.

No comments: